I'm a 21 year old Melbournian, I work in a boutique brewery that's open to the public with the idea of choosing one of our numerous beers and brewing it yourself, Right down to the bottling. After a number of months of slowly learning the different characteristics of beers and their distinctive differences, I've decided to start at number 1 and work my way through the 'local tap-house's 100 hottest craft beers of 2010' with the hope that by the end of it I'll be able to tell the difference between an Indian pale ale and a Pilsner with 25grams of extra Saaz hops.

Wednesday, May 11, 2011


NUMBER 13
HOLGATE TEMPRESS CHOCOLATE  PORTER



This is a type of brew that i am not at all familiar with. I approached it in the same way as i have the other ales and lagers. But as soon as you pop the lid you know you're in for something special!

From the bottle, there's an average sized head, but is straight away golden brown in colour (head) and receeds to leave a strong lacing. The colour is as you would expect in a porter, Dark, Very Dark,Almost Black, But even though it is so dark, you can see that it is not loudy at all and is very clean.  

This beer has such a rich, Dark smell ( Yes something can smell 'Dark') as well as strong hints of coffee and chocolate but then some subtle sweetness is there but i just cant put my finger on what it is exactly.

The taste....Well this is something I'm experiencing for the very first time and it's fascinating. The Holgate Brewhouse reccommend this with a strong chocolate based dessert and i can see how this works. With such incredible coffee, Chocolate and VANILLA! it was VANILLA! I'ts a dark chocolate lovers dream. The flavours stay for what feels like ever on the pallete and only develop more and more. There's also a yeasty smell that you notice the further you get through this incredible masterpiece of a beer.

My first experience of a chocolate porter and i can safely say it's a good one! By no means could i see myself slamming these down all night but one or two, HEAVEN!





No comments:

Post a Comment